Let me start by saying, I knew very little of what to expect on our first trip to Batuu, and one of the coolest things about this land is that there will always be more to explore! The design is absolutely incredible, and the world you're immersed in from the moment you step into Galaxy's Edge is unlike anything I've experienced.
One of the beauties of Galaxy's Edge is the fact that it's based off of a planet that wasn't featured in the films. When I heard about that a few years back, I remember wondering how they were going to pull that off. When I think of immersive lands, I think of Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Orlando which is one of my favoriate theme park lands ever. The beauty of Diagon Alley is the fact that it's the exact replica of the film making you feel like you were dropped into the movie. At Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, you experience a different kind of immersion. One where you're aware of an element of familiarity but also an overwhelming desire to explore a place you've never been before. I feel that I could come time and time again and be able to learn more, explore more and experience more than I ever thought.
With that being said, there are a few things you don't want to miss when you visit Batuu! (Please note, my husband and I were able to experience the land for the first time on a date day. Later on, we're excited to dig deeper into offerings that are best for kids when our little sweetie joins us.)
1. Ride Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run - I seriously cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed this ride! Walking through the Millennium Falcon and sitting in the cockpit were so surreal. It felt like we were really on board. This ride takes six passengers in at a time and gives each individual a position so they know what job they have while on board (2 pilots who steer the ship, 2 gunners who shoot everything that moves and 2 engineers who fix what's been broken). Once you get your assignment, you momentarily wait in a really neat holding room with an extra special photo op (see below). Once you board, the success rate of every position affects your ride experience which makes it a really neat team challenge. (TIP - the single rider line, when open, is awesome! The standby wait time when we were there was 80 minutes. We got on in 20 in the single rider line! What?!?! Plus I'm sure it's rare, but Michael and I ended up on the same crew.)
2. Visit Oga's Cantina - This was such a fun experience. Customarily this offering is considered a dining reservation and needs to be booked months in advance. However, there is a chance for walk ups if the area isn't too busy. Inside there is such a fun vibe with insanely unique drinks and music. Definitely worth checking out, plus being in the AC isn't too shabby ;) We tried a few of the drinks and the Batuu Bites pictured below.
3. Enjoy the ambiance - Just walking around the land is an incredible experience. I know this may sound silly, but I encourage you to really enjoy the atmosphere, interact with the roaming characters (we saw Rey, Chewie, a Resistance Spy Vi Moradi, and stormtroopers in the 2ish hours we were in the land). The sights and sounds are so perfectly thought out, it's a wonderful place to grab a snack, sit down and enjoy the ambiance of Batuu.
4. Be adventurous in trying the food - One of the wonderful but slightly frustrating things about the area is the fact that the food is excellently themed. So much so that you basically have no idea what you're consuming. The flavors we had were so unique and well paired, it was definitely worth being adventurous. I'm excited to try more!
5. Talk with the Batuu natives/ i.e. Cast Members - They are so well versed in the story and theming of Batuu, just asking them basic questions brings about some interesting responses. I highly recommend the interactions. That alone will make each visit very different. Also, while we're talking about Cast Members, their costumes are beautifully designed! They definitely help with the feeling of being immersed in a new world!
6. Explore the shops - I cannot wait to do this more! The shops we visited were in a cool street market setup and I know there are way more shops to explore. We haven't visited the shopping experiences like choosing your lightsaber and building a droid. (Please note, those experiences are at an additional cost but I hear they're worth the added price if you want a very special souviener and memory to go with it.) The one shop that I liked the most during our first trip was in the market and filled with jedi and sith inspired fashions. There were some really unique and classy pieces with some epic non-branded ladies tops I would totally wear in daily life. I couldn't decide what I wanted yet, but I'm sure I'll be back :)
7. Try the blue and green milks - We missed this experience and were told once we were leaving the park that we have to try it next time becuase one is great and one isn't... not sure how temped I am to try to not so great one but it sounds like it's a Batuu thing to do. I'd love to hear which one you like better!
I can't wait to hear about your Batuu adventures! Share your photos and stories in the comments below :)